It’s Thursday and that means it’s time to share the blog luv.
Blog Out Loud:
- Many of you have likely already heard about and/or read Roni Loren’s post, or should I say rant, about blogging, platforms and the pressures on writers. It was a great post that I took very much as positive encouragement. For me, the basic message was stop freaking out! Social media is not the be all and end all to be a successful writer. Sure, done well it’ll help. But if you hate it, not to worry, that likely won’t mean the end of your writing career. I absolutely love blogging and have a healthy addiction to twitter. So I am good! But I know others struggle. If you do, ease up! Seriously!
- Now, if you aren’t scared off from blogging, I also came across The Top 10 Blog which has a wonderful guest post by social media (for writers) maven Kristen Lamb with 10 tips for blogging awesomeness. Seriously people – we know Kristen would never steer us wrong so go, read, and implement!
Write Out Loud:
- Until today, I never really considered golden rules or advice around coming up with character’s name. Then Roni Loren featured a guest post by Suzanne Johnson with 5 tips for not screwing up your character’s name and…well…yeah, makes sense! She’s got some excellent points to remember.
- Fantastic post by Jody Hedlund about mistakes she’s made on her journey to publication. I really enjoyed it and it definitely gave me tons of food for thought about writing too realistically and having the right expectations! Jody also guest posted over at Jenny Hansen’s this week about steps for organizing plot ideas. Considering I am just starting out, I found this timely and you might as well!
- Speaking of Jenny Hansen, she wrote a fahhhbulous post about learning the 3-Act structure from the late, great Stephen J. Cannell (who created or co-created nearly 40 television series no less). She used a great analogy to bring the concept to light for me. Maybe it will for you as well.
Laugh Out Loud:
- In need of a laugh? Go check out Noa Gavin’s blog and her texting with Jesus. I nearly peed myself – hilarious!
- I just about died reading Telling Dad’s post on how to deal with children’s dreaded “why” question and why it is imperative that you use one of his three tactics lest you risk showing of weakness…as he says “children are masters at sensing and exploiting vulnerabilities.” HYSTERICAL!
- Ok – seriously. I think I snorted coffee out my nose reading The Bloggess’ post on how no one makes cards for National Mental Illness week. RIOT! I totally want to order the card she created for all of my friends – classic!
Life Out Loud:
- I read a fantastic post this week by Lani Wendt Young on how much is too much when it comes to information for your kids. She and her hubby like to shoot straight from the hip when it comes to talking to their kids but they’ve received a few raised eyebrows from other parents. I say “let em’ raise their eyebrows Lani…kids today need to know!” This coming from a childless woman! LOL!
- This week I was simply BLOWN away by Nicole Basaraba’s tour of the highway through the Romanian Făgărăș (Fah-gah-rush) Mountains. Unparalleled beauty and fear (ya think?!?!). I don’t think I could have handled the drive. I would have had a heart attack AND peed myself (ask hubby, he knows it’s true…) As a brave western Canadian girl who knows all about mountain drives (having driven across Park Bridge, BC), this tour tested even Nicole’s bravery! The pictures are absolutely stunning – definitely go check it out!
- How often have you been surprised by a person’s actions because their words seems to say something different about themselves? I see it all the time in my single pals dating stories and it’s sad. Amber West wrote a post last week about how actions speak louder than words and it’s so true. I used her post to remind myself that integrity is important to me so I gotta always be conscious that I walk the talk. Do you?
I hope you enjoyed this week’s line-up of fantabulous blog posts. Stay tuned for next week’s. I promise to go and spend oodles of time (time away from friends and family I’ll have you know…) to bring you this do-or-die information…My god…you guys must really love me!!
Got any ditties of your own to share? Let me know and maybe they’ll be featured as part of next week’s line-up…