It’s Wednesday morning and it’s time to update you on my ROW80 progress. I feel like I got fair amount accomplished since Sunday (considering I do most of my work on the weekend). So let’s get to it!
You can find a list of my goals here.
Work In Progress Goals:
- 2 hours on my WIP this week so far (goal: 5 hours each week):
- Nearly done chapter 1: Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell (just have exercise 4 to do to finish the chapter).
- Completed exercises 1, 2, and 3 in chapter 1: Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell.
- Set up 2 rugs in my office which made the chair work much better (in case I can’t swing a new one: $$$)!
- Checked-in with my ROW80 Sista – Nancy J. Nicholson!
- I reported on my ROW80 goals on schedule.
Summary: Last night I took 2 hours and went into my writing room and read James Scott Bell’s book and did the exercises. I’ve never actually sat in that room with the purpose of working on my novel. I always seem to be on the couch so this was HUGE for me. I found that the ideas flowed much better and I was much less distracted. I left my phone and laptop in the kitchen and just concentrated on writing. Woot woot!
Exercise 1 was to free write for 10 minutes and answer these two questions: When readers read my novels, I want them to feel _____ at the end. That’s because, to me, novels are _____. At first I did it in my head but then I said “Natalie, quit taking the easy way out, get the pen, and do the work…” and I am super glad I did. It kind of gave me an overall written goal for how I want my novel to make people feel. Knowing that and having it spelled out I think will be key going forward. Gonna pin it at the top of my writing board!
Exercise 2 was to analyze a few of my favorite books against his LOCK system and that rocked! It was easy to see how his method works and why it’s so valuable – and why I sooo love the books I love! Kristen Lamb talks about the LOCK system here if you are interested.
Exercise 3 we (James and I…keep up people) kicked it up a notch! I applied the LOCK system to my own story idea. Well, as you all know, I am torn between 2 ideas so I decided to do both. Story Idea 1 is not well developed at all – it’s more an incline or a snippet. It’s like a faint “click” of an idea that I never really developed (because it scared the heck out of me for the amount of work it’d take) so I decided to do that one first to push myself. And you know what, I LOVED it! I had a blast! No, I don’t have all the missing pieces BUT I have a better sense. It requires more brainstorming and I’ll likely apply the LOCK system a couple of times until I see things more clearly.
That was it for 2 hours.
- Blogged 3 days (4 posts by this evening) including this post since Monday.
- Read, commented, retweeted/tweeted on over 25 blogs since Monday night.
How is your ROW80 progress going thus far?