Buckle up! For the next 80 days, we are going to rock Wednesdays. First in the morning (ok…maybe lunch hourish…)with some hard-core ROW80 progress reports and then in the afternoon, we’ll have a giggle fest with some urban word insanity!
Work In Progress Goals:
- Did not get any further on Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success by K.M. Weiland
- Monday, I put 3 hours in on my WIP outline (actual writing/outline hours – does not include my obsessive pondering – see note below bullets):
- Second thoughts on first story idea (I didn’t think it had enough depth for a novel) so I flushed out 4 other story ideas with a basic premise, a couple big moments, and a pile of “what ifs” for each. And ended up at the same point with each and more confused than ever.
- Checked-in with my ROW80 Sista Nancy J. Nicholson!
- Reported on my ROW80 goals on schedule.
Note: Honestly, after Monday morning I felt very frustrated (and so early on?!?!) because I am scared none of my story ideas have enough depth for a novel – they seem too light and I couldn’t wrap my brain around the details. I couldn’t see how the pieces would all work together; how I would connect big moments and MY GOD what happens in between. It seemed like nasty piece meal!
Started wondering if I should do character development first? Felt a lot loss.
I spent a lot of time pondering. I sort of came to accept that it’s a huge learning curve. I have to constantly tell myself that it’s not about writing the perfect book (or even a great book), it’s about writing A book to learn how to do it – and learn how to do it better next time. It’s a “Fucking Learning Opportunity (FLO)” (as my mother likes to say…yes…Mom rocks!)
In the end, I accepted that I don’t need to know or understand how it’s all going to work. I shouldn’t necessarily have all the ideas up in my head and ready to go. I should just stick with idea 1, read the book, follow the process, play around, and push forward regardless; fill in the missing blanks and backtrack as required.
But man, it’s hard to let go of the need to know it ALL NOW and have it PERFECT!
I do think I’ll do some research on story engineering and the snowflake method (while pushing through and finishing K.M. Weiland’s book) and see what I can learn from that to add to the mix.
- On schedule, blogged 3 days (4 posts by this evening) including this post.
- I read and commented on over 15 blogs since Monday night.
- I retweeted/tweeted on over 14 blog posts since Monday evening.
How is your ROW80 progress going thus far? I’d love to hear your experience of outlining your first WIP? Where you as afraid and lost as me? PLEASE GOD let me be normal!!!