Today is my birthday!! I will turn 37 years old around 10:25 this morning and I can’t wait! I love birthdays. Squeeee!
I’ve always loved my birthday. No matter how old I am turning. Age has never been a big deal to me. And I know some of you groan “well duh, you are only 37 years old…” but I don’t think age will ever be a big deal to me.
Part of my joie-de-vivre comes from having the world’s best birthday role model; my Mom. I mean, this is a woman who knows how to embrace birthdays and aging in style! For her sixtieth birthday, she hosted a pole dancing party with one requirement: you attend, you work the pole. And work the pole we did. Whatever age she turns, my mother embraces the gift of life and living.
And I definitely take after Mom. I’ve never been one to want to stay in the same place (metaphorically speaking). To me, time passing and aging signifies growth and forward movement. To me, our age is like a badge of honor, something to be revered and celebrated! We made it. Another year under the belt where I learned, challenged, and pushed myself to do more, aim higher, and live louder.
I mean, I’ve already got plans for my fortieth underway so I am pumped to hit the next major milestone!
Here are my top 5 reasons for loving my birthday!
- The name of the game is GIFTS! Squeeeee. Whether it’s the gift of time with friends and family or the gift of jewellery (hubby always delivers spectacular on the gifts part ), it’s a joy to let your loved ones shower you with gifts. Some of my most treasured birthday gifts are cards I’ve received from my loved ones with the most beautiful and inspiring notes of family, love, friendship and sisterhood. I save them and reread them from time to time and my heart is always warmed with how blessed I am.
- It’s not a day, it’s a season! Thasss right. I like to draw my big day OUT! Although today is my actually bday, I like to start celebrating early and carry on through the big day and beyond. This year we started on Friday evening with dinner with friends, Saturday night was dancing with friends, Monday night dinner with the family, and this coming weekend, a hot tub party with more friends. Woot woot! And, if you can believe it, this will be one of the shortest birthday seasons ever. Usually I manage to save gift certificates from my bday to spend in August so I can extend the pleasures throughout the months! No joke…I like to draw it out!
- ME ME ME. I know, it’s shocking to hear it but I LOVE being the center of attention and what better day to scream “I rock!” from the rooftops than my birthday. On Saturday night, my BFF had the DJ wish me a happy birthday, there are tons of facebook messages coming in, hubby had a bday wish on the radio for me, and there’s a bday sign across my office door so coworkers will swing by all day with best wishes. And now all of my blogging family will swing by with loads of uber fabulousness. I mean…I am EVERYWHERE! Squeee…Love that! I love to shower people with love and adoration and I love to be showered. I mean, it’s all about give and take, right?
- Like a fine wine, I feel like I get better with age. Coming into my 30s was the best thing that ever happened to me. I felt like for the first time in my life, I finally settled into my own skin. As a woman, I grew into my bones and felt at peace with myself. My self-esteem soared and I found my self-confidence. I also became more adventurous and slowly but surely I let go of my paralyzing fear of abandonment and opened myself up to love. Love of myself and others in a deep and profound way. And each year, it only gets better.
- Any excuse to have a party! Birthdays are a fantastic reason to toss the diet aside for the day and indulge across the board. Food, friends, family, and fun – let er’ rip! Birthdays are a great time to throw caution to the wind, buy that new outfit, try that new restaurant, or toss that bash you’ve been dying to have. Seriously, we only live once so let the good times roll!
How do you celebrate your birthday? Does aging get you down or fire you up? What are some of the best birthdays you’ve ever had and what made them so special?
More blog deliciousness here:
- We are not all that different! Tia Bach looks at the power of finding the similarities in one another!
- Are you having trouble getting your exercise in? Kate MacNicol did a great post with some tips and tricks on making it a priority! The post had some excerpts that really hit home to me!
- Marcia Richards brought us the story of Julia Chase-Brand; an amazingly inspiring story!