Time for Sunday’s ROW80 progress update.
I took everyone’s advice from last Sunday’s check-in and spent most of my writing time doing some visualization, thinking and writing about how I see myself as a successful author to try to nail down my genre. In doing so, I discovered that I have a character arc/theme that keeps rearing its head. It wants to be told. It’s begging to be told. It won’t leave me alone.
I realize this is the issue I am struggling with because I can’t figure out how to show the character arc in a story without it being a self-help book. Hence the reason I keep bouncing around genres and why I can’t settle on a story idea because I haven’t hit on the right story and conflict to showcase it. And this weekend I started wondering if it can even be done?!?!?
That’ll be the question I’ll spend this week pondering and playing around with.
- Complete outline of WIP
- Write 1750 words a week, on average 250 words a day (can be on WIP or other writings like flash fiction, character development, world building etc)
1347 – words total for this week
- Finish James Scott Bell book (nearly done)
- Read 2 other writing craft books
Done Will Write for Shoes: How to Write a ChickLit Novel
1/3 through Save the Cat
Social Media Goals:
- Blog – post 4 times a week
4 posts (+1 guest post at Elena Aitken’s – total word count: 4381
- Blog – post ROW80 progress reports twice a week (Sunday and Wednesday)
- Tweet/Comment on at least 10 blogs a week
- Comment on 1 new blog per week (ROW80 or otherwise)
Healthy Lifestyle Goals:
- Cardio – 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday)
1 cardio (another busy week and exercise took a back seat)
- BowFlex – 3 times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday)
Zero - oops!
- Maintain a daily food/migraine journal
- Although I didn’t meet my word goal, I feel like I made good progress on figuring out what the issue is. I believe this will help me move forward and either find a way to write the story or let it go for now.
- Rocked the social media.
Where to improve:
- Gotta step up the exercise!
Have you ever started the writing process with a character arc first and built the story and characters around it? How are you making out with your ROW80 goals?