Two years ago, my beautiful mother-in-law’s life was cut tragically short by an impaired driver. In honor of Donna Jean Kennie, please don’t drink and drive. Impaired driving is 100% preventable. Think about it.
General Impaired Driving News
- Hamilton, ON: A drunk driver profile – it may not be what you think. According to the news story, police in Hamilton, Ontario say its casual drinkers, not the boozers they’re catching on the road. Hamilton police charged 507 drivers with impaired driving between August 1, 2010 and July 31, 2011. Of those, 83% were men and many ﬁt a common proﬁle. They stop for a drink after work and, several hours and several drinks later, get behind the wheel, not realizing they’ve become impaired. And in Hamilton, ON, the average age of an impaired driver, whether male or female, is 39 years old. Check out the story for some great graphs!
Here’s this week’s line up of impaired driving news.
Impaired Driving Causing Death
- 1 sentencing hearing
- Orangeville, ON: Victim impacts statements were devastating at the sentencing hearing for a 19-year-old who pled guilty to impaired driving causing death after he swerved into oncoming traffic nearly 1 year ago killing a 54-year-old woman. Sentencing will take place October 5, 2011.
- 1 charges pending
- Aylmer, ON: 23-year-old man initially charged with two counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm will likely face impaired driving causing death charges after that the 24-year-old driver of the other vehicle died…leaving behind a pregnant wife (who was due in just a few weeks).
Impaired Driving Causing Bodily Harm
- 3 charged
- Peterborough, ON: 44-year-old man was charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm after 4 people were taking to hospital when he crashed into a utility pole.
- Elgin County, ON: 24-year-old man was charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm is also in hospital with life threatening injuries while a passenger in the other truck is in critical condition (the driver of the other truck was released from hospital).
- Barons, AB: 27-year-old man was charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm for a rollover that sent 2 other men to hospital with serious injuries.
- 1 wins appeal for new trial
- Monastery, ON: 33-year-old man found guilty of impaired driving causing bodily harm and sentenced to 8 months in jail and 18 months probation with a 4-year license suspension will get a new trial. Upon appeal, it was deemed that his Charter of Rights and Freedoms was violated in the arrest and therefore the breath samples used in trial should have been excluded. New date for trail to follow.
- 1 pleads guilty
- Regina, SK: 19-year-old pleads guilty to impaired driving causing bodily harm after driving into a 48-year-old outside his home who says his life has been changed forever by the injuries sustained. Sentencing is October 13, 2011.
- 3 sentenced
- Sarnia, ON: 49-year-old man gets 2 years of jail time for his fifth impaired driving conviction. He will also be on a year’s probation where he must take substance-abuse counselling and he received a 10-year driving ban.
- St. Stephen, NB: 50-year-old man received a 1-year driving ban and was fined $2,000 plus a $300 surcharge for victims after being found guilty of impaired driving.
- Corner Brook, NL: At sentencing, a man who pled guilty to impaired driving told the judge he sold his truck and plans to quick drinking. He was sentenced with a $1,500 fine and an 18-month driving prohibition.
- 4 charged
- Grand Valley, ON: 19-year-old and 49-year-old men were both charged with impaired driving in 2 separate incidents on the same night in Grand Valley.
- Brandon, ON: 24-year-old woman charged with impaired driving when police find her sitting behind the wheeling of a running vehicle drinking a beer.
- Hamilton, ON: Police say a dozen impaired driving charges were laid during the recent Grape and Wine Festival in the Niagara region. There were 10 roadside suspensions for blowing in the warning range and 15 vehicles were impounded for either seven or 90 days.
- Wakefield, QC: unlicensed male driver charged with impaired driving when his 22-year-old friend tries to teach him to drive while they are both impaired.
How has impaired driving affected your life? Please…share…I want to know!